IRISA welcomes more than 260 doctoral students in its research teams, 40% of whom are of foreign nationality.
The PhD is the highest international degree and is obtained after a 3-year preparation (thesis) in a full-time research laboratory, in daily interaction with your colleagues. It is conditional on obtaining a research grant and enrolment in a doctoral school.
Essential to start an academic or research career, the doctorate also opens many doors, particularly in the private sector and internationally where it is highly recognized. According to the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation, half of doctoral students go to the private sector, 22% of which are in R&D.
Why do a PhD at IRISA?
- Every year, about 50 theses on a wide range of research topics are proposed, a large part of which comes from project-based funding.
- Thanks to our large network of partners, our freshly graduated PhDs quickly find opportunities.
- IRISA maintains numerous links with innovative companies, in particular through the Fondation Michel Métivier (of the Rennes 1 Foundation), the Fondation Inria or the Fondation CNRS and IRISA's rich innovation ecosystem.
- IRISA is a member of the Doctoral School MathSTIC (Rennes and Vannes-Lorient sites) and is also involved in the Doctoral Training Center EIT Digital in Rennes.
- Doctoral students are supervised by experts in their field and participate fully in the life of the laboratory: seminars, working groups, laboratory council, research contracts, etc. They benefit from access to INRIA, CNRS and university documentation centers. Doctoral students have access to additional training: scientific courses, corporate training, doctoral studies, scientific English, etc...